The goal of this contest is to share the beauty of owls with the world while having very little to no impact on the owls themselves. Every owl is an individual with different tolerances and every situation is unique, but to this end there are some specific rules to ensure that owls were not significantly stressed in obtaining the images.
The contest is open to anyone other than board members, employees or volunteers of The International Owl Center, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to enter. The contest is international and encourages entries from around the world.
- First prize: US$200 (2018년 1월 20일 기준 22만 4,500 원)
- 2nd prize: US$100 (2018년 1월 20일 기준 11만 2,250 원)
- 3rd prize: US$50 (2018년 1월 20일 기준 5만 6,125 원)
Please note that bank or PayPal transfer fees will be deducted from the cash award if the money is transferred to a foreign bank account. Winners will be notified by mid-March and posted on the International Owl Festival Facebook page by the end of March.
- Photos of wild owls, educational owls, nest box owls, and other owls are welcome.
- Photos from the outdoor owl photography sessions at previous Festival of Owls events are permitted.
- Judges will give extra points for wild owls in natural habitats. 야생에서 서식하는 올빼미/부엉이를 찍은 사진작품은 보너스 점수를 받을 수 있습니다.
- Photos must not have watermarks or distinguishing marks or names on them so the judges can evaluate them fairly.
- The owls in the photos must not have been baited or lured by the photographer or anyone else. Baited owls can become dependent and/or habituated which increases the risk of harm to owls. For further information on why baiting is a bad idea. If we learn that a submitted photo was obtained by baiting or luring an owl in some way, the photographer will be permanently banned from this competition for all future years. 올빼미/부엉이에게 먹이를 주어 사진을 찍는 행위를 금하며, 이렇게 인위적으로 사진을 찍어 출품을 한 것이 발견이 된다면 자격이 박탈되고, 평생 이 사진 공모전에 참여를 할 수 없습니다.
- Due to the potential to affect night vision, no flash may be used in the photos.
- Owls must not appear stressed in the photos. This includes defense displays, concealment postures, greatly expanded head feathers, or other obvious signs of stress. Photos of stressed owls will be disqualified with no refund given – 야간 촬영시 플래쉬를 사용하시는 것을 자제해주시기를 바라며, 올빼기/부엉이가 사진으로 인해 스트레스 받은 흔적이 보이면 출품 자격이 박탈됩니다.
- Cropping, sharpening, color correction and exposure manipulation are acceptable. All other editing such as cloning, removal of distractions and composites are not allowed.
- Photos MUST be in digital JPG format. Photos must be cropped in an 8″ x 10″ format otherwise your submission will be disqualified without refund. (We suggest it be at 300 dpi which is 2400 x 3000 pixels in size)
- Do not mail hard copies of photos. Only digital submissions are allowed.
- The filename must not be the original file name. It should be renamed as follows:
Photographer’s last name, followed by a hyphen and title. (Ex. Smith-Evening Flight.jpg)
- Entries must include the following:
- Location (Please include name of site where appropriate. Ex. Provincial park, nature preserve, facility.)
- Please indicate if the owl in the photo was either wild or other.
- Caption (Details of how the photo was taken, subject matter, etc.)
- Photos that have won other photo contests, either online or print are not eligible for submission.
The entry fee is US $10 per photo, with a limit of three entries per person. Entries and payment must be received by February 1, 2019 at 11:59 PM US Central Time (CT). Each entry should be sent as a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, address, phone number, email address, and photo title in the body of the email. Submitted photos are to be attached to the email and not embedded in the email. Entry fees are used to provide the competition prizes, displaying of photos and help the International Owl Center in its mission to make the world a better place for owls. Entry fees are non-refundable.
Judges will choose 10 finalist photos. Finalists are made into 8×10” prints, matted, and displayed at the International Owl Center during the International Festival of Owls, March 1-3, 2019. At the festival, the public will vote from the top 10 finalists to determine the winners.
Use of entries
By entering this contest you are granting the International Owl Center non-exclusive rights to the submitted photos for educational, informational and promotional purposes. You also agree to release the International Owl Center from any and all claims related to the display of, or use of, your submitted photographs.
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF OWLS PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST 2019 해외 사진공모전에 출품을 원하시는 분 혹은 공모전 출품 가이드라인 번역본이 필요하신 분은 코리안포토그래픽으로 문의 주시길 바랍니다. 현재, 회원분들에게만 번역본을 제공하고 있습니다.